Monday 18 April 2011

The Kilo Vintage Sale

I was super excited this weekend for my first trip to the Kilo Vintage Sale in London's East End. So keen was I, that I turned up an hour early, just as the traders, who get first pick (boo) were let in, to start a queue of my own. I came prepared having been to similar sales, armed with the obligatory Starbucks, newspaper, magazine and headscarf, after all it's important to dress for the part. FYI- my early morning wake up call paid off as 20 minutes later, a crowd of eager vintage shoppers turned up. Arriving at 10am for a 11am start is, by the way, highly recommended.


The location? The Rag Factory at Heneage Street, just off Brick Lane of course.



The only rules of the sale, apart from no fighting, bitting or stealing others finds, are the super affordable set prices. For a kilo of vintage, roughly five light items such as cotton dresses and t-shirts or three heavier items, you pay £15, otherwise garments can be purchased separately.



There was an abundance of stripe tops and denim for sale.

After a hord of vintage lovers have ransacked the sale (below). Warning, as Ive learnt over the years- at these sales it's every fashionista for themselves.


I found this Aztec print crepe dress hiding on a rail between two shirts, sacrilidge.
 
Once you've chosen your items, the Vintage Kilo sale staff weigh them and price accordingly. If any garments are particularly heavy they will offer them at the individual price set, honesty always pays.
My bag of goodies- a silk kimono jacket, blue logo sweater, white wrap with shoulder pads and an army jacket, all for less than £15. Vintage Kilo Sale I will be coming again.



No comments:

Post a Comment