Monday 7 February 2011

Spitalfields swish

Fashionistas including myself battled it out on Saturday (5 Feb) at Spitalfield's first ever swishing event, I knew there was a reason why I went to the gym three days a week.
The swish started at 11am, ie brunch-time, when all fashionistas were required to exchange their unwanted garments, a maximum of five, for tokens to use in the swish. I parted with a leopard print knit, Whistles sequin dress, Zara folk dress, metallic skirt and polka dot body-con dress, all of which were nestled at the back of my wardrobe. At 2pm my friend and I, along with our fellow swishers, were allowed to browse the clothes on offer, displayed on stalls at the back of the market. I pin-pointed my targets, a H&M safari dress, pink lace dress and seventies crepe top.

Half an hour later and eager to get started, we were cordoned off behind a make-shift barrier before the swishing officially began, and I for one was not willing to give up the items I longed for even if it meant running in heels or pushing my fellow swishers out the way. And yes I'm pleased to say I got my way, like every well trained only child does, after doing a supermarket sweep style dash.
A ticket price of £8 for three new pieces to add to my collection not bad when I got to give my well-loved items to others, recycling at its best.

The next Spitalfields Swish is on in May 2011. Visit www.oldspitalfieldsmarket.com/events/swishing-clothes-swapping.html




No comments:

Post a Comment