Monday 11 July 2011

A trip to Battersea Boot Sale on a sunny Sunday

Normally I prefer to get rid of all my unwanted goods at boot sales rather than buy someone else's pre-loved items, but after hearing good things about Battersea's weekly car boot sale I decided for once to be a buyer rather than a seller. According to Time Out, Battersea is amongst the top ten car boot sales and where you are most likely to pick up a cheap vintage Chanel handbag, slightly creased Barbour jacket or Cartier shoes circa 1920. Right up my street.


After a somewhat nightmare journey, courtesy of public transport, I managed to navigate my way to the sale thanks to my trusty and battered A-Z. Then I joined the burgeoning queue of hundreds all looking for a bargain for just a mere 50p entrance fee (before 1.30pm buyers pay £3 and £5 before midday).

On entering the sale, I made a bee-line towards the back of the college's car park, where the car boot is held, towards the stalls lined with rails of clothing. My first bargain, a Burberry mac for under £50. On a nearby stall I noticed DKNY jeans, another, nearly new garments from ASOS and Topshop, and a guy selling Orly Kiely bed covers. My second purchase was a vintage cerise jumper for a £1, sold to me by a woman who openly admitted her shopping addiction often got her into trouble, join the club. Another favourite stall of mine was one selling second hand leather briefcases and satchels, an old-fashioned bicycle and khaki boiler suit.


An hour into my car boot shopping spree and a 99 flake later, I noticed a brand new H&M cream evening dress, tag attached. The story, according to the seller, was that she had bought the dress but found it didn't fit and luckily for me never returned it. A perfect dress for the many weddings I have this year and next.


I think I have Battersea Boot Sale to blame for my new car boot sale addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment